Log:Snakes! Why'd It have to Be Snakes!

From Horror MUX
Jump to: navigation, search
Snakes! Why'd It have to Be Snakes!
Characters  •   Vishys  •  Faustina  •  KissThisThen  •  Locke  •  Sebas  •  Timmy  •  Kitten  •  Mark  •  Anchor Man  •
Location  •  Desert Spring High School
Factions  •   The Monitors  •  The Children of War  •  The Savvy  •
Date  •  2019-12-17
Summary  •  The Sanctuary crew starts exploring the ruin and finds treasure. And snakes. So many giant, mutant snakes.

Pebble guides them off road and many bumpy hours later they can see up ahead a dune ridge, with a big dip in it. She points, "It's behind there, off to the left. I'm pretty sure some of those people in the cargo compartment wwere there."


KissThisThen rattled, but still there, the otherwise quiet KTT glances behind the bus again. After a moment he starts to work through his pockets and equipment, looking for the sachets and pouches for various samples and possible seeds. It pays to keep notes on - and study - everything.


Kitten hangs out in their gunner's spot, eyes on the horizon. They seem pretty sanguine about having just seen their best friend explode in a roiling ball of smoke and flame, and why wouldn't they be? Rebar has been received in Valhalla, shiny and chrome. Bodies litter the sand, and today is a good day.


As he was doing this entire trip, positioned ever vigilantly by one of the side windows, Locke has his weapon at the ready. While there's the danger of an attack during the course of the journey, as they make their way across the wasteland, coming across some undiscovered ruins does little to set his mind at ease. Are they sure that no one else knows about this place? Either way, his dark gaze looks across the way to view the dune ahead of them and then to make sure that no one else was laying in wait.


Anchor wakes from his half dose where he's lying across the back seat after his head injury with various people taking turns watching over him during the long drive. Muzzily, he tries to sit up, making a distressed noise in the back of his throat as he does, "We there? Someone hand me a gun." Timmy cranes her neck to tray to see better through the slits. Pebble hunches down, ready to dive for the floor in case of shooting.

There are a couple people watching from the ridge line, but they scatter when they see the size of the caravan. As the Convoy tops the rise, they can see a temporary valley below. bits of debris and the like have sand piled up against them. The Afternoon sun bounces off the partially exposed roof of some ancient building. The double doors gape open. The dunes have partially poured through what were likely once windows. Traces of pint suggest there was once a sign across the wide front of the building, but sand and time have scoured it away. Wind has already shifted the sand around the debris and the entrance to the ruin, but there are signs of it having been disturbed.


Vishys is hanging with their driver, quiet, assessing. He lets the others have the conversation. The Imperator watches the horizon. Has he a sense of humor? Often. The man is dying doing a job he loves doing. Weapon at the ready he keeps his voice low trying to do a quick ammo tally and check the blades he has on him made from cut and folded old road signs. The grin gets sharp; that jagged slash and his dead eye bringing no joy but for the thrill of the hunt. He points out the things he finds and nods taking note of those that others find as well. Two fingers wave them forward.


KissThisThen finally stands up in the bus, and he shields his eyes and frowns. Then he gives a slight shrug and he says "Footprints? What size group wandered into there?"


Kitten aims their gun at the faces on the horizon, and they laugh when those faces disappear. "I didn't think so," they say with glee. Otherwise, they remain loosely alert. It's not for them to question how to proceed. It is for them to shoot and cackle when it's time to shoot and cackle.


Locke doesn't take his eyes off their surroundings as he lifts a hand in a 'wait' gesture, before speaking to those in the wagon, "Once we start to slow down, be prepared to gather anything necessary that you need to take with you." He then adds, "Wait for the go ahead first, to ensure that the coast is clear." He's incredibly wary, his gaze falling on the gaping maw of those opened doors, almost as if he's in anticipation of an ambush right here and now.


ROLL: KissThisThen rolls brains-1 for: [3]: x1 [5]: x2 (Pair) -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 5 3 5 -- d6)


KissThisThen has been using the edge of his billhook to shade his eyes. He frowns a little, and then he says "The tracks look like those left in the Fungus Farm when we are moving trays around. Like drag marks. Footprints too...don't know what the wavy marks are." He has decent eyesight, though not as good as many of the monitors would have "...some sort of roller. System? Something too heavy to drag?" he mutters by himself.


ROLL: Locke rolls brains for: [3]: x1 [4]: x1 [5]: x1 [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 6 3 5 4 -- d8)


ROLL: Locke rolls brains+1 for: [1]: x1 [3]: x1 [6]: x1 [7]: x1 [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 7 1 6 3 8 -- d8)


Only half-turning to KTT, catching sight of the man from out of the corner of his eyes, before his own gaze is led to the markings which had drawn the Savvy's attention, Locke tries to come up with what could have made those tracks. That said, his primary focus is security and whether those prints are hints that something is off, he continues to survey the area once more.

Still from his place by the window, his eyes squint into that doorway, perhaps having seen something. It could be nothing, but why take chances?" Calling out to one of the War Kids outside of the wagon, he asks, "Do you see that down there? A glint of something." Hell, he even marches over towards the entrance of the bus to try and get a better look.


ROLL: Faustina rolls brains+1 for: [1]: x2 (Pair) [2]: x1 [3]: x1 [4]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 1 3 4 1 2 -- d6)


ROLL: Vishys rolls brains+1 for: [1]: x1 [4]: x1 [5]: x1 [8]: x2 (Pair) -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 8 5 8 4 1 -- d8)


ROLL: Vishys rolls 5d6 for: [1]: x2 (Pair) [5]: x3 (Set) -- Match Value: 4 (Raw: 5 1 5 5 1 -- d6)


ROLL: Faustina rolls 5d10 for: [1]: x2 (Pair) [4]: x2 (Pair) [10]: x1 -- Match Value: 2 (Raw: 1 4 4 1 10 -- d10)


Faustina clears her throat. "We were warned that there were large snakes of a variety the scavengers had not seen before and which were definitely venomous. I suspect many of the wavy marks are from those, though some look like they could be carts. Due to the snakes, please everyone be very careful, particularly if reaching somewhere you can't see."

Mark says, "I don't see any movement. There's something metal back and to the left, but it's not looking like guns."


Sprocket starts to get restless. Sure she's adorable but sharp teeth, sharp claws and a sharp nose keep her useful in teh war wagon. It's times like this with the trilling grrrryipyipyip high pitched barks Vishys is able to ascertain a few things. "Locke." It's oe word but for the warkids it's something else: a couple hand signs that tell them where to start putting their focus without words. As Sprocket leaps down there's a casual stroll, not a cautious one. She circles and barks at that direction again. "Nothin wrigglin." There's confirmation. Well he now has a bearing he's happy with and the Imperator heads thus.


KissThisThen brightens noticeably "Snakes!" he says, in rare, in fact, hither too unseen delight "Snakes! Yes. What was the head type? Clearly we have some sort of _prey animals_ here, which means a possible food animal." He would absolutely eat a rat "Snakes are extremely useful," he adds, calculating the value of leather and meat in his head. KTT makes to head out himself - he keeps his billhook with him "Maybe there are other animals..."


Kitten is staring off into space, then they blink a few times and says, "Oh yeah, snakes! Pebble's brother got bitten by one. There's like lots of gross mutant snakes." Something they didn't see fit to tell anyone, apparently. It's Kitten, alas. They're half-baked on a good day.


While the idea of snakes isn't overly alarming, that's what wearing good and sturdy boots are for, Locke's mental alarm is sounded when Kitten mentions MUTANT SNAKES. Now, mutant anything aren't unheard of in these parts, but it does raise his guard. Hearing the chirping sounds coming from the War Kid group and a few things brought up by the other Monitors, Locke takes a step out of the bus, to get that better look into the darkness. Mark seems to be right, that glint is probably not a weapon of any sort. Only when they are able to decide that the coast is clear enough for the scientists to depart will he allow KTT and the rest to make their exit.


Immediately inside is a wide vestibule, fairly narrow across to the half ajar double door into darkness. To the left is a long waist high wall with partitions. Behind it is various metal looking equipment and cupboards. Some metal implements are scattered around the area generally.

To the right of the doors is what looks like bookshelves set into the wall, but the front is smashed and anything that was in there has been taken or buried in the dune partially obscuring that side and making wht look like two doors on the short wall inaccessible without heavy lifting. There is an unfamiliar animal smell pervasive here, as well as the smell of dead things.

There are several types of small animal prints here as well as more of the other tracks previously spotted going to and coming from further in. Clearly a small cart or wagon was parked just inside the first doors in this vestibule.


Mark heads in early, with a lantern, if he can, on the lookout for snakes, primarily, but also anything that looks like it might be a boobytrap or just an unstable spot which might collapse. He's clearly not so worried about the stuff that's here, instead making sure the people likely to care about the treasures are going to be as safe as possible.

Faustina hangs back a little, watching and waiting.


ROLL: Faustina rolls 5d10 for: [3]: x1 [4]: x1 [6]: x1 [7]: x1 [9]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 9 4 3 7 6 -- d10)


ROLL: Kitten rolls brains+1 for: [4]: x1 [5]: x2 (Pair) [6]: x2 (Pair) -- Match Value: 2 (Raw: 5 4 6 5 6 -- d6)


ROLL: Locke rolls brains+1 for: [2]: x1 [3]: x1 [5]: x1 [7]: x1 [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 2 5 7 3 8 -- d8)


KissThisThen eyes Kitten at that. An eyebrow is raised, just once. But then he says to them "Why don't you protect me." Might work! Who knows. Maybe Kitten knows more about things. Once Locke lets hi inside, he is immediately working away, lifting this and that with his billhook, sniffing. He crouches down to examine the animal prints, then moves up again. He comments "Some snakes can sense heat. As if they could see it." The dune of sand is poked at with his billhook "Any books would be useful. These raiders have probably taken all the good stuff. We should organize to take it from them." The billhook is moved back up and then KissThisThen pulls a small metal container with glass sides out of under his cloak. He shakes it a few times, and with an irritated buzzing, small lights inside it start up, something inside it bumbling around and crashing into the substrate of glowing mushrooms. The light is flickery and organic without being...comforting.


Once the area is deemed clear in the space surrounding the entrance, Locke ushers the Savvy's to follow, but making sure that he and the other Monitors keep in close approximation to the small team of scientists. Sure, they weren't as important as say Fortunates, but it was their job to minimize casualties if possible. When he steps foot inside, his dark eyes look at all the various places where snakes and other things can be found. It looked ransacked, for sure, but he's looking out for any signs of life as well as anything of interest that might come out and bite them in the ass.

Peering over at KTT when he offers his insight and makes his request for books, Locke will do a quick check to see if there are any books to be found, but otherwise, that's not his job. "You want us to organize and go out and to find Raiders for some books?" A pause, "Reasonable." Whether he believes it or not, it's hard to tell.


Vishys flashes a jack-o-lantern grin to Kit, "Snakes is good digs on dirty treats, but even they gotta eat somethin. Keep an eye out for em. Loot anything you come on. Remember them curl up in your shoe if they feel on to it." That said he's using the longer makeshift blades to nudge things and keep some distance between he and anything that might be disturbed. Looking to the fennec fox there are executable clicks given urging her on to sniff out explosives in case of traps.


Kitten hops out of the gunner's seat and swaggers over to KTT with their net gun and wrench on their belt, a shotgun in hand, and a pistol tucked in their waistband. There's a bootknife too, in case anyone is keeping count. "I'm eating it if it doesn't eat me first," they say, and they come up upon the lip of the darkness to peer. They don't take a lot of time investigating before they say with utter certainty, "It's clear. That's a kitchen." They nod toward the metal bits in the recessed area with strange equipment. "Good pickings there, I bet."


Anchor tries to shamble after Mark. Timmy stays close by KTT. A bunch of war kids array to guard the vehicles and the entrance, their chariots parked facing out so they can use the big guns. KTT finds a metal statue of woman poised to run, several bits of polished wood with names and long ago dates, and a bunch of young women in weird layered outfits with short pleated skirts, posed between to more soberly dressed matrons. No books can be found here.

The door creaks softly as its handle's pulled, revealing two bloated bodies in the cone of light. It is dark and cavernous in here, any windows being buried. Sand has got in, though less of it. There are debris and obvious chairs of metal and plastic scattered around. There are three hallways leading off into the dark. To the immediate right is an area wih shattered glass and an open door with furniture shapes visible. On the other side of that hall, books and desks and chairs are visible. The metal bookshelves have toppled, but there are books. So many books.

Ont the left wall are one mysterious door on one sifdde of the hallwayy and two on the other. Straight ahead is a hallway to the left of a raides dais, possibly a stage.


ROLL: Faustina rolls 5d10 for: [1]: x1 [5]: x2 (Pair) [7]: x1 [9]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 9 1 5 7 5 -- d10)


ROLL: KissThisThen rolls brains-1 for: [1]: x1 [3]: x1 [5]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 3 5 1 -- d6)


ROLL: Locke rolls brains+1 for: [1]: x1 [2]: x1 [6]: x1 [7]: x2 (Pair) -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 7 6 1 7 2 -- d8)


ROLL: Kitten rolls brains+1 for: [2]: x2 (Pair) [3]: x1 [4]: x1 [5]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 2 5 3 2 4 -- d6)


ROLL: Vishys rolls brains for: [2]: x1 [4]: x1 [8]: x2 (Pair) -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 4 2 8 8 -- d8)


Mark creeps carefully inside and raises his lantern in his off-hand, then steps to one side, if possible, to let others see and come in. "I'm hearing some rustling, but it's hard to tell where it's coming from." He's looking a little jumpy, now.

Faustina is now in the vestibule, studying the statues KTT unearthed.


KissThisThen just assumes that everyone feels the way about knowledge that he does. Or, well, possibly does not care. His role is his role. He is frowning a little, holding up his own lantern "Snake is good," he agrees with Vishys. He has either eaten it before or wants to feed it to his mushrooms - hard to tell. As Kitten speaks, KTT nods "Kitchens are useful. Old world twine, string, plastics, sharpening stones...the tiles are good...can heat 'em for sterilization for mushrooms, they don't break..." He seems to realize he is speaking an awful lot, and he frowns down at his weird lantern as if it has betrayed him.

After a moment he picks up the trophy, unable to recognize it. Then he puts it down again. He turns his head towards the bodies, without any concern. Bodies happen. He hefts up his billhook and uses it to lever up the edge of a bookcase to see if he can see what kind of books they are. Please, please, let them not be Dianetics.


Locke doesn't mind people talking, as long as they aren't being overly loud about it to draw attention to themselves... with how the acoustics of this place is set up, he has a feeling that if anyone were still in here, they would have been alerted of their presence by now.

After he's had time to silently reflect on their many findings, learning more about those who lived here before, he continues forward in time with KTT's own steps, practically being the guy's shield if need be. The Monitors are all nicely spread out here. He's caught in mid-step when he seems to hear the same thing that Mark does and to this he lowers his voice, "I hear it too. Can't tell if it's footsteps or something else." Slithering, perhaps? Hey, they were warned of snakes. Looking to those around him, he lifts a lone finger to his lips in a 'shhh' motion. Maybe they'll be able to pick up more of what may be lurking in these caverns, but the way everything echoes, he isn't even sure which direction the sound is coming from either. Instead, he readies his firearm, keeping it slightly raised, just in case as he continues to move alongside KTT.


Vishys turns and scoops the toe of his boot under Sprocket and lifts her up, snags, and reseats her gently on his shoulder, one finger scritching her head. Looking around with his eye fixed on teh details at a glance it summarizes: Books. Nothing of immediate importance. Moving on. Pointing to the other Centurion he calls the other over, guns out. Please let there be food that fights back. That means it's still healthy eats.


Kitten prods at the bodies with their gun to check out the other guns. They swap out guns, check the clip on the newly swapped one, and takes it. Then they follow after KTT, tilting their head as if they hear something. "Snakes," they whisper, then nod wisely. "Mutant snakes." They flash KTT a broad grin.


Bits of those bodies have been eaten, small things burrowing under to get to the good parts. They are smelly, gory, and disgusting. Someof them are still in there. Timmy is ticking with Faustina and KTT, peering at the finds and following straight on to the book room, steps picking up speed, her breathing rather heavy and gaspy as she spies all those books. So it is she is peering around KTT as the lumpy hand sized head with three eye darts out to try to bite at the Reaper's leg. The body behind it is a thick, stripey, scaly blueish colour.

Anchor is right behind Mark, a little wobbly, but holding a knife.


ROLL: KissThisThen rolls spirit for: [3]: x1 [4]: x1 [5]: x1 [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 6 4 5 3 -- d6)


ROLL: Faustina rolls spirit+1 for: [1]: x1 [2]: x1 [3]: x1 [5]: x1 [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 6 2 5 1 3 -- d6)


ROLL: Faustina rolls 4d8 for: [2]: x1 [3]: x1 [7]: x1 [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 2 8 3 7 -- d8)


ROLL: Locke rolls spirit+1 for: [2]: x1 [3]: x1 [7]: x2 (Pair) [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 7 3 7 8 2 -- d8)


ROLL: Timmy rolls 5d8 for: [2]: x2 (Pair) [3]: x1 [5]: x1 [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 5 2 8 3 2 -- d8)


KissThisThen does not scream - he is not the type. He jumps as if someone has just told him Immortan Joe is back and in the mood to rumble, and he flails like a man denied his water ration. Billhook in hand, swinging it, making panicky noises "Venomous isn't poisonous - venomous isn't poisonous - venomous -"


ROLL: Timmy rolls 4d8 for: [1]: x1 [2]: x1 [5]: x1 [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 2 1 5 6 -- d8)


ROLL: Vishys rolls finesse+3 for: [2]: x1 [4]: x3 (Set) [5]: x2 (Pair) [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 4 (Raw: 6 5 4 4 4 2 5 -- d6)


Mark just freezes in place, staring at the snake with wide, unblinking eyes.

Faustina apparently spots the movement, makes a little squeaking noise and then collapses in a faint.


ROLL: Kitten rolls finesse+1 for: [2]: x1 [3]: x1 [5]: x1 [6]: x2 (Pair) -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 6 2 3 6 5 -- d8)


ROLL: Timmy rolls 6d6 for: [2]: x1 [4]: x4 (Set) [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 4 (Raw: 4 4 2 4 6 4 -- d6)


ROLL: Locke rolls finesse+2 for: [2]: x2 (Pair) [3]: x1 [5]: x2 (Pair) [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 2 (Raw: 6 3 5 2 2 5 -- d6)


With slow steps, Locke trails a few paces behind and to the side of KTT when he leads them into the book room. Perhaps, it's the smell that strikes him first, something putrid. What he sees, however, is horrifying enough, but it's not as if he's a stranger to bloated corpses. Just not corpses that looked like this usually. He has an urge to lift a hand to his mouth and nose, but instead, keeps his hold on his weapon.

It's a good thing too, because despite being morbidly mesmerized by the things moving in and under the bodies, he catches something lashing out at one of their party, making him quickly raise his firearm to blast off a few shots at whatever it is. "Keep your eyes open." He tells the others, all the while listening to KTT talk about poisonous or venomous or something.


ROLL: KissThisThen rolls finesse for: [1]: x1 [2]: x2 (Pair) [4]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 1 2 4 2 -- d8)


Something lashes out, and before even really registering what it is, Kitten bellows, leaps in front of the others, and kakakakaks it with their shiny new gun. "Die! DIE!" They drop the gun and pull out their boot knife, and might need to be held back from outright leaping into the writhing badness.


Vishys only really needs the moment where everything is set into motion to flip his switch. Timmy's having a bad day. Thankfully there's Locke for sound cover fire and he (and apparently Kit) trust him enough that he will fire around their own. Kit gets the mad dash which thankfully and skillfully pulls the thing from hiding. That's when the the last two war kids follow the younger Centurion in to start on what can only be described as a ballet of dismemberment.

When they strike high the Imperator's already moved and allows them to leap into sharpened blades. It's the best way he's got to not his Timmy because he can't control what the guy will and won't do. What he can do is tell this mutant sunnovabitch: No, you need the other half of your body for that. Not today. Grinning ear to ear he tells Kit "Today is not our day, but it is theirs."


Timmy screams like she's being murdered, attempts to grab at KissThisThen, but keeps trying to duck. "Kissy! Kissy! Stop! Run!" Anchor Man bellows "Witness Me Mother fuckers!" And throws himself at the big snake's neck knife slashing madly at it, grinning like a rictus head injury or no. "Ahhhhh!" Between them all the snake is twitching it's last.

There are snakes of assorted sizes slithering out from under anything that could reasonably hide a snake. All fat bodies and stripey. Many have lumpy heads and three eyes. Many are shades of brown. Others blueish. There is a greenish one with two heads. Some are Leucistic or Melanistic. They are rather agitated and possibly hungry. Alarmed mutant rodents scatter away from the bodies.


ROLL: Timmy rolls 4d8 for: [2]: x1 [4]: x1 [6]: x2 (Pair) -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 2 6 6 4 -- d8)


ROLL: Locke rolls finesse+2 for: [1]: x1 [2]: x1 [3]: x2 (Pair) [5]: x1 [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 1 3 3 5 6 2 -- d6)


ROLL: Kitten rolls finesse for: [2]: x2 (Pair) [4]: x1 [7]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 2 4 7 2 -- d8)


ROLL: KissThisThen rolls finesse+1 for: [1]: x1 [3]: x1 [4]: x2 (Pair) [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 8 3 4 1 4 -- d8)


ROLL: Sebas rolls Finesse+2 for: [2]: x1 [4]: x4 (Set) [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 4 (Raw: 8 4 4 4 2 4 -- d8)


ROLL: Timmy rolls 5d6 for: [1]: x1 [2]: x1 [3]: x2 (Pair) [5]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 1 3 5 3 2 -- d6)


ROLL: Faustina rolls 5d8 for: [2]: x1 [3]: x3 (Set) [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 3 (Raw: 3 6 2 3 3 -- d8)


ROLL: Faustina rolls finesse+1 for: [1]: x2 (Pair) [2]: x1 [5]: x1 [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 6 1 5 2 1 -- d8)


ROLL: Timmy rolls 6d6 for: [1]: x1 [2]: x2 (Pair) [5]: x2 (Pair) [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 2 (Raw: 1 2 2 6 5 5 -- d6)



Sebas has been outside because it was his turn to bake on the rig instead of do cool shit like root around among whatever's to be had in these ruins. (Actually he lost a bet with Vishys and this was the stakes. He should fucking know better by now.) However, there was the stipulation he could come in and save them all, uh, check on things, if there was screaming.

Hey did that sound like a scream? It sure did! Well, the War Kids are all looking at the entrance like maybe they heard something. Sebas'll take it. "Be right back," he says, sliding out of his seat and heading inside. He has his knives out by the time he can see what's going on, which is a good thing, because it looks like there's snakeskin for everyone. "Well darlings I had no idea this was a clothing run." And just like that, he's stabbing and slicing, and trying to avoid getting shot or whacked over the head by anyone flailing willy nilly.


With the horror of realizing that a giant squamous creature might be trying to eat him, the Reaper is finally knocked out of his terror by Timmy of all people "Can't -" he manages to her "-we need - samples -" That is definitely going to get him killed. He flicks the billhook out and uses it the easy way - just chopping into a snake as though he were farming. He doesn't bother to try going all the way through. Even mutant animals are still animals.


The eruption of violence startles Mark out of his freeze and suddenly he's moving again, shooting his pistol at one of the blue-ish snakes coming in from one side. A frown has settled over his countenance and combined with the tattooed mask he's definitely scary.

Faustina recovers from her swoon and fumbles for her pistol, getting off a shot that wings one of the brownish snakes. She's still looking a little groggy, but pulling herself together rapidly.


ROLL: Locke rolls brains+1 for: [1]: x1 [6]: x2 (Pair) [7]: x1 [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 7 1 8 6 6 -- d8)


ROLL: Timmy rolls 1D9 for: -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 0 -- d)


ROLL: Timmy rolls 1d8 for: [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 6 -- d8)


ROLL: Timmy rolls 1d8 for: [2]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 2 -- d8)


After the one foolish snake lashed out, drawing everyone's ire towards it, Locke can't help but get this feeling that they were being watched. "Shit..." He was hoping that the gunfire would scare those damned things away, but the opposite happens. These snakes were either brave or hungry, he'd think the latter, but they were feasting on grotesque bloated bodies when they first got here.

Giving the room a perceptive sweep of his eyes in the chaos that erupts once everyone notices all the snakes, while he keeps eyes (fleetingly so) on KTT and some of the other panicked scientists, he moves towards Faustina with quick steps, just as she struggles to stand. "You alright? Get bit?" He calls out to her before directing the muzzle of his weapon at one wily squirmy thing that launches out with an open jawed strike, before part of its body is ripped by several bullets.


A snake rears back to strike at Kitten, who leaps after it snarling, "Get back here!" The snake is not expecting this. It's not typical 'prey' behavior. Kitten grabs it by the neck, drives their knife into it, and yanks knife and snake's head in opposite directions. It's safe to say that, when it woke up this morning, this was not how the snake imagined its day going.


ROLL: Kitten rolls brains+1 for: [1]: x3 (Set) [3]: x1 [4]: x1 -- Match Value: 3 (Raw: 3 1 1 4 1 -- d6)


ROLL: Timmy rolls 1d6 for: [2]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 2 -- d6)


ROLL: Faustina rolls brains+1 for: [2]: x1 [4]: x1 [5]: x2 (Pair) [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 6 5 2 4 5 -- d6)


ROLL: Sebas rolls brains+1 for: [1]: x2 (Pair) [2]: x1 [3]: x1 [4]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 1 4 1 2 3 -- d6)


Timmy screams, "Fuck this! I hate snakes!" She starts back towards the big room, wheezing and coughing. The Anchor Man is bellowing every filthy word he can think of and slashing wildly at Faustina's brownish snake, with about as much effect, which launches itself at his naked thigh and bites. A small fast black and grey one bites at Mark's boot, but can't get through the leather.


ROLL: KissThisThen rolls finesse+1 for: [2]: x1 [4]: x1 [6]: x2 (Pair) [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 4 6 6 2 8 -- d8)


ROLL: Timmy rolls 4d8 for: [2]: x1 [3]: x1 [6]: x1 [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 6 8 3 2 -- d8)


ROLL: Faustina rolls 5d8 for: [3]: x1 [5]: x2 (Pair) [8]: x2 (Pair) -- Match Value: 2 (Raw: 5 5 3 8 8 -- d8)


ROLL: Locke rolls finesse+2 for: [2]: x2 (Pair) [4]: x2 (Pair) [5]: x2 (Pair) -- Match Value: 3 (Raw: 2 4 5 5 2 4 -- d6)


ROLL: Faustina rolls finesse+1 for: [1]: x1 [5]: x1 [6]: x2 (Pair) [7]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 1 7 6 5 6 -- d8)


ROLL: Kitten rolls finesse for: [4]: x1 [6]: x1 [7]: x1 [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 8 4 6 7 -- d8)


ROLL: Timmy rolls 5d8 for: [2]: x2 (Pair) [4]: x1 [5]: x2 (Pair) -- Match Value: 2 (Raw: 5 2 4 2 5 -- d8)


ROLL: Sebas rolls finesse+1 for: [1]: x1 [2]: x1 [8]: x3 (Set) -- Match Value: 3 (Raw: 8 8 2 8 1 -- d8)


Anchor Man is actually loud enough that the mostly deaf KissThisThen can hear the noise. While his weapon is terrible in close quarters, he _is_ able to go _over_ other snakes to try to chop at the one biting the War Child. Kitten seems to be having...uh. Fun? Is that fun? He glances at Locke worriedly - are we supposed to be having fun? Is this fun? God. No wonder he never gets invited to parties.


Faustina is aiming for the one attacking Anchor Man, but is still using her gun, so has to be careful to not hit Anchor. She manages to damage the snake, again, though. "These snakes are far more aggressive than usual."

Mark shoots at the snake attacking him, hitting it solidly.


Sebas keeps slicing and stabbing at the snakes, and occasionally stomping on one here and there. "Are we sure anything in here is worth this?" he calls over the hissing and shouting. He sounds dubious.


ROLL: Timmy rolls 5d6 for: [1]: x1 [3]: x3 (Set) [4]: x1 -- Match Value: 3 (Raw: 1 3 3 3 4 -- d6)


Locke does not look like he's having fun. If anything, he looks annoyed at this slithering fuckers who are trying to take a bite out of himself and his party. While he doesn't know much about snakes in itself, what he does know, is that these things aren't acting the way normal animals tend to. Especially around gunfire. At Faustina's warning, he grunts out, swerving his pistol to the left to blast one of the fiends that he catches from out of the corner of his eyes, "Now that's quite the understatement." His words come out with wry humor, even if he's not smiling.

While this is going on, he keeps track of everyone else in the room and what he witnesses is what he knew all along: War Children were crazy as fuck. But hey, as long as they were getting the job done. "Books!" He cries out to Sebas in response, following up with a murmur, "Lots and lots of books.. among other things from the past."


"Keep killing them!" Kitten yells. "Piss on them! Establish dominance!" They lash out with their knife as they narrate their impromptu nature special, but the talking is distracting them from doing more than grazing scales. "They're not from around here!" Stab stab. With one hand, they try undoing their belt.


ROLL: Kitten rolls finesse for: [1]: x3 (Set) [2]: x1 -- Match Value: 3 (Raw: 1 1 1 2 -- d8)


Timmy is still trying to run, but she can't really breath. It's like she's having some sort of attack. Wheeze! Wheeze!

The Anchor Man is bellowing in pain and horror as he slashes at the thing attached to his thigh. Between the shooting and slashing with his knife and KTT with his the billhook, the thing dies. Still Attached. Anchor is definitely pissing right now.

Snakes are now fleeing for hidey holes in the wake of Sebas' fury and Locke's gun. Really all of them now except that weird albino one that strikes Kitten's wrist and just misses.


"Books, and resources, and food, and - whatever we can get, chemicals, and -" Kitten is yelling something, and KissThisThen says "...oh, yes, their. Olfactory senses are. Impressive. They'd probably have, erm, left if we'd, erm. Just thrown in the bottle of disinfectant." He stands, stopping mid-combat, looking vague "Yes. Erm. Oops."


Sebas spies that albino snake as it just misses Kitten. Oooo, that'll make some nice--something. Boots, gloves,b knife sheaths. //Trade//. "Let's get that one. Good piece." KTT might get some samples yet.


ROLL: Faustina rolls 5d8 for: [2]: x1 [3]: x1 [4]: x2 (Pair) [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 4 8 4 2 3 -- d8)


ROLL: Kitten rolls finesse for: [1]: x1 [2]: x1 [4]: x1 [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 2 6 4 1 -- d8)


ROLL: Kitten rolls 1d6 for: [2]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 2 -- d6)


ROLL: Timmy rolls 5d6 for: [1]: x1 [3]: x1 [5]: x3 (Set) -- Match Value: 3 (Raw: 5 5 3 5 1 -- d6)


ROLL: Sebas rolls finesse+1 for: [1]: x1 [2]: x1 [5]: x1 [6]: x1 [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 5 6 8 2 1 -- d8)


ROLL: Sebas rolls 1d8 for: [1]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 1 -- d8)


ROLL: Kitten rolls finesse+1 for: [1]: x1 [2]: x2 (Pair) [4]: x1 [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 1 4 2 8 2 -- d8)


ROLL: Timmy rolls 4d8 for: [2]: x2 (Pair) [3]: x1 [5]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 3 2 5 2 -- d8)


Faustina calls back towards the wagon, "Someone bring a bottle of disinfectant. The stronger smelling kind, if possible." While she does that, she helps Anchor Man get free of the snake and makes sure that it's dead. "You, get back to the bus and see one of the healing hands about the bite."

Mark shoots after one of the retreating snakes, clipping it. He growls as he does so, then looks around again, assessing who's been hurt. He stops for a moment when he realizes the main one injured in Anchor Man.


ROLL: Timmy rolls 4d8 for: [4]: x1 [6]: x1 [8]: x2 (Pair) -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 6 8 8 4 -- d8)


Catching a flash of white somewhere in his peripheral vision, Locke quickly swerves in Kitten's direction, about to open fire at the albino reptilian thing. Kitten's standing pretty darn close to it, so he withholds. It's a good thing the War Kid can dodge. For now, he keeps his weapon raised, ready to unleash his wrath on any squirmy thing that tries to peek out from any nook and crevice.

FWord goes around, calling out for disinfectants and other things of that nature to ward the snakes away. As well as people wanting to scramble for some important documents and the like. Looking over at Anchor Man, he asks, "Do you need an escort heading out?" The guy was wounded, so that's why he asked. Otherwise, he's ready to scan the area like a sentry, his finger on the trigger.


KissThisThen says, abruptly "Make him lie down, now. No walking to the bus. He has to lie down right now, Comptroller. And he needs bandaging, from bite up the torso. From now on, he does not walk, he must be carried, with his leg down and his torso up. Keep his heart rate _down_."


By all that is right and good and logical, Kitten should be covered in snakes and their subsequent bites, but they have ridiculously good balance and keep stepping from snake to snake deftly. Finally, they stop slashing, sheathe their boot knife, and manage to unfasten their leather trousers. It's hard to focus on the task at hand what with all the hissing and shooting going on around them, but Kitten manages to, er, establish a perimeter. In the most pungent medium they have available to them. They did say to piss on them to establish dominance. "Get what you need!" they cry out. "I'll hold them off!"


Timmy is still making alarming sounds but is still moving as best she can across that big echoey room full of debris, tracked or recently blown in sand, broken glass, and overturned chairs. Breath, coughcough. Breath, coughcough.

The Anchor Nan drops his knife and wrenches the dead thing off, thumping down hard on his but as the leg gives way. "I feel... Not so good." Probably, he shouldn't be running around with a head injury at all let alone fighting snakes. He blinks up at Faustina woosily, pupils not quite matching.

That snake makes another darting strike at Kitten's boot as Sebastian goes after it. The piss is literal insult to literal injury at this point. It attempts to nope away in the direction of the circulation desk.


ROLL: Sebas rolls finesse+1 for: [1]: x1 [2]: x2 (Pair) [6]: x1 [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 8 6 2 2 1 -- d8)


ROLL: Sebas rolls finesse+q for: [4]: x1 [6]: x2 (Pair) [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 6 4 6 8 -- d8)


ROLL: Sebas rolls finesse+1 for: [4]: x1 [6]: x3 (Set) [7]: x1 -- Match Value: 3 (Raw: 6 6 6 4 7 -- d8)


Mark sets his lantern down somewhere high-ish, so it will continue to illuminate the room, then he stomps over and picks up Anchor Man, cradling the war kid to his chest and saying, "You shoulda stayed on the wagon." He corrals one of the healing hands on the way. "He's been bitten by a snake, and he already had a head wound. I need you to take a look at him."

Faustina collects disinfectant from one of the people bringing it over and begins looking over the books, trying to help prioritize, though she's also spraying anything that even looks like someplace a snake might think of hiding with the rubbing alcohol or ammonia or whatever it is that she's been handed.


The albino snake flees and Sebas gives chase. "Oh no you don't, pretty one." He nabs her as she makes to dart under the circulation desk, catching her just behind the head. "Very nice. Here's your sample Kissy. Can even milk her, is you like." He moves to grab a sack, which was probably for anything but snakes, stuffs the snake in it. It's for snakes now!


Watching as Anchor Man stand unsteadily on his feet, Locke slowly turns towards KTT when the man let's them know just what they'd need to do to make sure that the other guy didn't die or anything unfortunate like that. "We'll make sure that he's looked after. Away from here. Unless you chase all the snakes out, don't want the chance of any of them lashing out from some dark corner."

That said, Sebas' wild chase after the albino snake sets off the Monitor's mental alarms, his grip tightening on his weapon as he turns to where the Imperator disappears to behind the desk, making a mental bet with himself on whether the guy would get bit or not. It seems that the War Child was not being sent to Valhalla after all. Not today. "Nice catch." He'll say that much to the Imperator's prize.

Taking a few steps back, he lets everyone know, "Spray the place down. Enough to keep those fuckers at bay while you collect everything you need. Then we head out. I'd say the sooner, the better, but who knows what's waiting for us along the wastes."


It's just as well Faustina gets the disinfectant, because before long, Kitten is out of, uh, steam. They refasten their leather trousers and draw their knife. "They're not interested in us anyway. They were trying to eat the mutant rodents that were eating the bodies," they say. "I hope we have enough of this stuff," they say with a gesture at the disinfectant. "I'm tapped out."


The Anchor Man wraps his arms a little clumsily around Mark's neck, smiling woozily up at his tattoos. "Couldn't let you go alone." Timmy drifts back till breathless to watch the disinfecting and in hopes of finding things of interest to her Professor.

The shelving section KTT was prodding when the first snake attacked was YA Fiction. Who knows what they will make of all those dystopias? Someone's been at the science and literature sections, though there is quite a bit still there. It looks like the Raiders had started with Reference, right by the door. Every book in here has markings claiming it as the property of "Desert Springs High School." Snakes had obviously been nesting in here. Snakes keep slithering away from Faustina's depredations. There are holes in the walls leading who knows where. It's a mess, but the books are in good shape comparatively, having been guarded by the slithery rodent eaters living here. The building is a maze. Who knows what else there might be in these halls.