Log:Radioactive Rain

From Horror MUX
Jump to: navigation, search
Radioactive Rain
Characters  •   Xavier  •  KissThisThen  •
Location  •  Sanctuary - Garden - The Farm
Date  •  2019-12-05
Summary  •  The savvy try to save the plants from the deadly rain. KissThisThen and Xavier nearly take a long fall.

A strong wind blows in ... and everybody out!


The storm is roaring frantically at the outside of the walls. Battering against the green materials. And right now KissThisThen is busy helping haul hydroponic trays down from above - they are having to keep what they can out of danger of running radioactive water. There are savvy working in groups, hour after hour, safeguarding the produce against the poisons, and keeping the long term health of the colony in mind. KissThisThen grunts as he tries to lift two trays, which most of the others can manage. He is, it seems, not the best at this.


The lender Chemist is so bundled up that only their eyes and the tip of their nose are visible under the wrap and they have a conical hat to keep the water off even those bits. They are trying, but Xavier Chemist is terrible at this. They really are only good for the sort of work one gives preteens. The carrying of small things, the setting up of tarps to protect plants from exposure. The Professor is weirdly calm, but determined to save whatever they can despite their limitations.

Timmy is right out there too, pausing to cough into a handkerchief when necessary, but bull stubborn.


ROLL: KissThisThen rolls finesse for: [2]: x2 (Pair) [3]: x1 [7]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 3 2 2 7 -- d8)


KissThisThen reaches out for one of the ropes, balancing a tray, as a gust of wind goes past, bringing rain. It sways, and he only just manages to catch himself. The tray spirals all the way down and crashes on the floor far below, and KissThisThen gasps, hanging onto the ropes.


Xavier's eyes go wide in real alarm, though whether for the tray or the Mycologist a stranger might not be able to tell what with all that facial covering, "Timmy!" They drop the tarp and come running. Their eyes meet and they start trying to haul the former War Kid up with all their feeble strength.


ROLL: Xavier rolls Brawn+1 for: [3]: x1 [4]: x1 [5]: x1 [7]: x1 [9]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 3 7 5 4 9 -- d10)


ROLL: Xavier rolls Brawn for: [4]: x2 (Pair) [6]: x1 [9]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 6 4 9 4 -- d10)


ROLL: KissThisThen rolls brawn for: [1]: x1 [6]: x1 [7]: x1 [10]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 7 10 6 1 -- d10)


KissThisThen grunts, hanging onto the rope, and staring down at the tray of pigeon pea seedlings, now destroyed - or, worse, contaminated with radiation poisoning. He says "Timmy?" He has not really met Xavier's aides before. He tries to pull himself up the rope as well, but cannot quite manage it. He stays, clinging on as 'Timmy' manages to slowly, slowly pull him up. His knuckles are white.


Timmy's knuckles are also white, and every once of of her diminutive frame and all her stubbornness is going into saving the Reaper, "We're all Timmy. I used to be called Reagent." Meanwhile the Chemist is once step away from muppet armed panic and ineffectively trying to help. "Don't die!"


"What?" says KissThisThen - his terrible hearing and confusion are meeting up badly right now. He looks across at Xavier and the skin around his eyes tightens just a little, but then he calls up "I'm not. Strong enough to climb in this wind." He can get into his own hut, but right now he is being bashed around more or less, knocked into things "Get someone else to help! Dead weight very heavy!"


Xavier's makes a small desperate sound and runs off, soon returning with someone who actually works with their strength, the Professor frightened enough to be pulling them along with both gloves hands as they beg her to go faster. Xavier Chemist stands out of the way ringing their hands until the mycologist is safe(ish) on the platform again.

Timmy yells in KTT's ear, "Reagent! I'm called Timmy, but my name's Reagent!" The scrawny chemist, looking rather mushroom like particularly in that hat, throws their arms around KissThisThen and clings.


KissThisThen is a bit dizzy and pale - visible in wierd ways on his piebald skin. He nods to Timmy, and then he slaps her on the shoulder "Thankyou," he manages "I'll. I'll ask about you getting some. Lux for that. There should be some, ah, reward. Maybe more mushrooms..." And he holds onto Xavier in turn, distinctly rattled "Thankyou, too, Professor Ransom," he manages, awkwardly "This is -" It's hard to hear him over the storm. He is wearing multiple layers of clothing, wraps to protect him.


The Timmy gives him a wink. "Sure thing. You need to sit down? Help getting down?" Under her casual tone she looks frankly exhausted, barely n her feet after that effort. The other savvy thumps her shoulder and goes back to work. The peculiar chemist looks like they are afraid to let the Mycologist go, "I was really scared. And I couldn't... I'm just not strong enough."


"Me either," KTT admits. And he nods to The Timmy, and sits right down there on the walkway, as dustlings howl in curves around them, and other savvy try to save what they can, or push barriers over. KTT puts his head between his legs for a moment, breathing hard, too deeply probably, through his mask "...ah. I haven't seen Skidz since the storm started. How are the War Children being fed?" he wonders.


Timmy simply collapses next to him, coughing like she's about to eject a lung. The Professor, stands there dithering,then awkwardly bends to pat the Reaper's shoulder. They yell, "should I get water? A tarp? Kisses? Timmy?"


"It's fine, I need to keep working," explains KissThisThen, though he eyes Timmy, and after a moment he says "She really needs to get out of this dust, it's worse if her lungs are bad already. Come on. Let's head for one of the shelters!" He has to shout the whole time and he points towards a structure at the end "We can work out what to do in a moment. This is ridiculous. We're going to lose half the crop up top!"


Xavier nods, finally grasping the state of their Assistant, "Can you help me with her?" They inch around to grab an arm and haul the diminutive etherite up. She's shaking all over from adrenaline reaction, her legs wobbly.


KissThisThen nods and does that as well - under her arm he goes, with one around her. Instead of talking now, he starts moving towards the tent based structure, which already has a number of injured Savvy. Mostly Reapers, most of whom are also vastly fitter than KTT is. The place is a bit unpleasant and bloody, alas - the odd mashed finger or thing blown into someone. KTT eases Timmy down onto a seat "Water?" he asks her.


Timmy nods emphatically, still struggling for breath between coughs. Xavier Chemist fetches a canteen and offers it, posture suggesting shame. "Are you okay, Kisses?"


"More or less," says the man, and he examines his hands, which are a bit abraded "I'm fine. I dropped a whole pallet of pigeon pesa, though." He grimaces, upset about it, and then he says "...something wrong? Okay, there we go. Water, Timmy. Don't drink too much. But enough to feel better."


Timmy eyes KTT and sticks to small sips, neckerchief pulled down. Xavier chemist hesitates, "You really scared me. I'm worried about the peas, the produce in generally, but... I wasn't strong enough to help you and you could have died like the peas. If it hadn't've been for Timmy."


KissThisThen shrugs. Water is water. And hard to get. He says to Xavier "I really scared me. I shouldn't be up there, I suppose." His voice is faintly frustrated "Most of the Reapers are. Faster. Stronger. Timmy here is faster and stronger and is a. Etherite."


Xavier moves so they and KTT are eye to eye, "It's not your fault you got hurt because you were a misassigned resource. You'd have been more able to manage this if you'd come straight here when they bounced you from the cage." They look down at themselves ruefully. "Or not. I'm terrible at this.


"Who knows," says KissThisThen, and he nods to Timmy and then gets up to his feet. He says "We should be working. Do you know how Kitten is? The War Children are pretty much cut off right now. Though I suppose they're probably not, er, afraid."


Xaviers eyes go wide, "I'm not sure. Um, surely someone is bringing them cakes? And safe water? Should we... maybe check?"


"That's for the Monitors," admits KissThisThen "The problem is, getting there is more or less dangerous." He stretches out his body, stiff as hell now, and pauses "What's your role here, I mean, what have they got you doing?" He occasionally seems to forget that Xavier is a Professor all by himself.


Xavier blinks, "We were doing temporary tarps to cover things until they could be moved or for when they were being moved. I'm not... really good at carrying heavy stuff and the assemblages are simple enough to erect." The Professor doesn't seem to mind. This is a situation where Reapers are the most useful people and the experts. Xavier is as comfortable taking orders here as they are giving them in the lab.


"Sounds good," says KissThisthen, who offers Xavier a hand "Let's head back across the walkway for a moment and I'll help you. Timmy?" The Timmy? "You should stay here," he tells the woman "Just for a bit. Close your eyes."


Xavier only hesitates briefly before taking the Mycologist's hand in their gloved one. They are trembling slightly, "It's a two person job, and safer, I think." The Timmy is looking at them funny, eyes pointedly on their hands, but she says, "I think I'm going to have too. I'm spent." The Professor nods and says firmly, "I definitely don't want to need another Timmy. you're the best one I've had in some time."


KissThisThen watches Timmy, unblinkingly. His own eyes can be weird given that one is gradually turning white across the coloured part. And then he looks down at their hands, entwined, and he says to Timmy "I'll return them in one piece." He then says to Xavier "Okay, let's head back out into the wind - it's hard just around the right, so hang onto me. Like you...like you did before."


ROLL: Xavier rolls Finesse for: [3]: x1 [4]: x1 [6]: x1 [7]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 3 6 4 7 -- d8)


ROLL: KissThisThen rolls finesse for: [1]: x1 [2]: x1 [5]: x1 [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 1 5 6 2 -- d8)


ROLL: Xavier rolls brawn+1 for: [3]: x1 [4]: x1 [6]: x1 [7]: x1 [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 8 4 3 6 7 -- d10)


ROLL: KissThisThen rolls brawn+1 for: [1]: x1 [2]: x1 [6]: x1 [7]: x1 [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 8 6 7 2 1 -- d10)


Xavier looks at Kisses this a long time, but then nods, "I'll try to hold on." They cling to that hand certainly, but the wind is strong and the catwalk slick. The wind catches all that beige fabric, their sandals slip and they lose their grip on the Mychologist's hand. Their scream is high and loud, but the wind rips it into shreds of sound. Will anyone hear? or notice?"


KissThisThen lunges for Xavier and grabs their wrist, tightly, fingers digging in, and loses his own footing. He skids across the walkway and hits it with a heavy thud, still clinging to Xavier. One leg gets caught in a makeshift barrier, and the other skids sideways. Tangled up, he can hardly move, his head against the wind. He stays hanging onto Xavier, but he can apparently go nowhere else "...ahhh-" He never swears, really, so he has nothing to show his panic and frustration "Ah!"


ROLL: Xavier rolls brawn+1 for: [3]: x1 [5]: x1 [6]: x1 [7]: x1 [9]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 7 5 9 6 3 -- d10)


ROLL: Xavier rolls Finesse for: [4]: x1 [5]: x2 (Pair) [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 5 6 5 4 -- d8)


Xavier clings to that hand with all their strength. Flailing wildly with the other, they manage to catch hold of the edge. Over which they are now dangling. Their fingers are slipping, slipping out of the gloves. They gaze up at the Reaper, "Please don't let me die. I don't want to die."


ROLL: KissThisThen rolls brains+1 for: [2]: x1 [3]: x1 [5]: x2 (Pair) [6]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 5 2 3 5 6 -- d6)


ROLL: KissThisThen rolls finesse+1 for: [1]: x1 [3]: x1 [4]: x2 (Pair) [7]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 1 3 4 7 4 -- d8)


KissThisThen holds on, tightly, but then he pauses, and goes quiet. His mouth moves. Puzzle solving is...what he does in a way. Then he reaches back, and he pulls some of his own clothing forward - his cloak, or one of them. The rest of it is tangled up, and cannot move with him. He manages to toss it down, looping the neck-hole wide and across Xavier's body. Then he pulls the rest taut, a sling appearing and taking most of Xavier's weight. KissThisThen pants, quietly, his breath hard.


ROLL: Xavier rolls Finesse for: [4]: x1 [5]: x1 [6]: x1 [8]: x1 -- Match Value: 0 (Raw: 5 8 4 6 -- d8)


ROLL: Xavier rolls brawn+1 for: [2]: x1 [4]: x1 [6]: x1 [9]: x2 (Pair) -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 4 9 2 6 9 -- d10)


Xavier does their best to cooperate. They fabric over their mouth pulsing in and out fast like a membrane vibrating in time to their panic. "Kitten's going to KILL me if I die!" The gloves tumble away in the wind as their scared hand slide free, but they hold on tight to the sling and manage to pull themselves up into grabbing distance all panic strength and wild eyed terror.


ROLL: KissThisThen rolls brawn+1 for: [4]: x1 [6]: x2 (Pair) [8]: x1 [10]: x1 -- Match Value: 1 (Raw: 4 10 6 6 8 -- d10)


Now able to think, and to move more slowly, instead of panicking and trying to do things quickly? The reaper switches instead to slowly just edging the sling up a moment, then securing it. Then he edges it up again. By this point, others have noticed their issue and are staring to come over. KissThisThen finds that other hands are busy pulling Xavier up, and one of the older Reapers cups his hands over his mouth "You're too tired. Go _down_. Go to the Fungus Farm!"


Xavier is weeping with relief and shivering visibly through the beige layers of fabric now plastered to their body and showing rather more of their shape than they'd be comfortable with if they weren't huddling in terror. They let Kisses lead them wherever. They are too tired and frightened to care particularly.


Eventually, the other Reapers help Kisses and Xavier get off the perilous walkway, gradually towards the heart of the stone area of the fungus farm. Down amongst the cavern areas, it starts to get cooler, and frankly, it is much, much quieter. KissThisThen is not talking much, looking exhausted and limping and muttering to himself.


Xavier presses against KTT's side, shivering shivering, eyes half closed. Teeth chattering they manage, "Soup?"


"Ah...yes. Soup," says KissThisThen, at the entry to the FungusFarm. He finds himself admitting "I don't think I can provide it easily right now. Sorry. We need to decontaminate first - get the radioactive dust and mud off. Then we can think about food. My apologies, Ransom, but safety first."


Xavier they give them a long look, nodding, "I'm too tired to think clearly. Will I... is there, um, a private place to clean? And clothes?" They are trying terrible hard to sound brave.


"The equipment room," says KissThisThen "Put on one of the clean suits - we have to be careful not to introduce too many other fungi to the farm. So, ah, protocol is - go in there, strip off. There's water for bathing that isn't suitable for drinking - then pat dry, then get into the clean suit." Which is fabric, not plastic. A series of head to toe coverings, at least, and gloves.


Xavier they cling to his arm, "Come with? I... I don't mind you and I don't want... I don't want to be alone."


"Oh, yes," says the Reaper, a little puzzled for a moment, but then he says "I should do it too." And he steps into one of the clean-off rooms, always important for growing mushrooms. There are simple shelves and boxes in here, nothing worth stealing, and a hamper to put the clean suits for exposure to hot sunlight - vastly cheaper than using water, but still quite good for killing fungal growths. KissThisThen starts to peel off his multiple outer layers, and he unrolls a heavily used flexible metal sheet "Put the outer layers here. Inner layers in the hamper. The inner layers shouldn't be poisonous. We weren't exposed that long!"